Deadline: 31st January 2014Number of visits: 2143
The Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA) invites applications to fill in the position of Editorial Assistant under the Publications Programme
In recent years, the CODESRIA Publications and Dissemination Programme has undergone considerable expansion that has translated into a significant increase in the number of books, monographs and journals published by the Council, as well as in the organisation’s online publication services. This expansion has necessitated additional human resources with a view to further maintaining the role of CODESRIA as the leading social science scholarly publisher on the African continent.
Under the overall authority of the Executive Secretary and the direct supervision of the Head of the Publications and Dissemination Programme, the Editorial Assistant will be expected to contribute actively and significantly to the day-to-day management of the CODESRIA programmes that fall within their portfolio. S/he will also be required to play a key role in enhancing the quality of the Council’s programme management by taking the responsibility to assist on the day-to-day management of the CODESRIA publications.
• Ensure that all incoming manuscripts are properly filed and registered;
• Manage the tracking and storage of all manuscripts;
• Maintain the in-house database of manuscripts in progress;
• Monitor deadlines and ensure that reminders are sent out when required;
• Closely monitor the progress of each manuscript through the publishing process and document its status at every stage;
• Maintain and update the authors’ register and ensure that addresses and autobiographical information is up to date;
• Take responsibility for all administrative work within the Programme such as corresponding with authors/peer reviewers, preparing contracts, vouchers, purchase orders, etc.;
• Liaise with the staff of CODESRIA sister programmes for the purpose of facilitating the publication process;
• Ensure that the guidelines and deadlines of the Publications and Dissemination Programme are adhered to;
• Perform any other job required by the Head of Publications and/or the Executive Secretary.
The Editorial Assistant will need to be a self-motivated and target-oriented individual requiring minimum supervision.
• Possess a minimum of a bachelors degree in Literature or Project management from a recognised university or academic institution;
• Have at least 3 years relevant work experience
• Have qualifications and a demonstrable experience in administrative or secretarial duties;
• Be fully conversant with current information technology and be able to use Excel, Word, Access, etc.;
• Be highly competent in spoken and written English or French, with a good working knowledge of the other.
How to apply
All applicants for this position are required to supply the following documents:
• A written application;
• A detailed CV describing the candidate’s professional experience;
• Three reference letters.
All application documents should be sent to the address OR my email specified below:
The Executive Secretary
Avenue Cheikh Anta Diop X Canal IV
P.O. Box 3304 CP 18524
All applications must be received by 31st January 2014. Any application received after this date will not be considered.