Deadline: 23 October 2016Number of visits: 3282
The Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA) invites applications from African scholars to fill a vacant position of Programme Officer (Research) in its pan-African Secretariat located in Dakar, Senegal. This position is categorized as belonging to the senior staff of the Council and as such is filled on the basis of an international announcement. The successful candidate will work as a member of the Secretariat under the overall supervision of the Executive Secretary of the Council.
Candidates wishing to apply for the position are requested to note the following:
The Programme Officer (Research) works under the supervision of the Senior Programme officer and of Head of Research, and has as his/her primary responsibility the day to day management of a cluster of programmes within the Research Programme of CODESRIA that may include some of the following programmes: the National Working Groups; Comparative Research Networks; Multinational Working Groups; the Academic Freedom Programme; the African Humanities Programme; the Health, Politics and Society Programme; the Programme on Children and Youth; the Economic Research Programme; the Governance Research Programme; the Emerging Powers Programme; the Lusophone Initiative; the Arabophone Initiative; and the South-South Tri-continental Collaborative Programme. The Research Programme also organizes major conferences tied to the Council’s programmes and strategy.
In addition to his/her specific responsibilities, the successful candidate will be called upon to perform the following functions: initiate, develop and, where appropriate, manage new projects and programmes; lend support for the realization of the other scientific activities of the Council; organize academic and policy meetings; promote contacts with researchers, professional associations and regional organizations; prepare research and funding proposals on themes connected to their areas of expertise as may be requested by the Executive Secretary; and where appropriate, liaise with funding organizations under the direction of the Executive Secretary.
More information on CODESRIA and its Research Programme can be obtained from the Council’s website: www.codesria.org. It is CODESRIA policy to reflect the disciplinary, gender and linguistic diversity of the African social research community in its structures. In this connection, female candidates are especially encouraged to send in their applications for consideration for this position.
• Have a sound university education and post-doctoral working experience in a research and/or training environment;
• Have a good knowledge of CODESRIA and possess a demonstrable ability to mobilize and promote the work of African researchers;
• Know and be familiar with the African and international scientific community;
• Have a proven experience of management in an academic environment;
• Be experienced in fund-raising, resource management and the preparation of reports for donors;
• Have a distinguished record of publication in peer-reviewed journals;
• Be fluent in French or English and have a good working knowledge of the other language.
The salary level that will be offered will depend on the successful applicants’ experience and qualifications, and will be comparable to those of similar posts in other international organizations that apply the UN salary grill.
How to Apply
All applicants wishing to be considered for the position are required to supply the following documents:
1. A written application;
2. A detailed CV describing the candidate’s professional experience;
3. Three reference letters, two of which must come from people living in countries other than the applicant’s country of residence;
4. Three or four of the candidate’s recent publications.
5. Copies of relevant academic certificates
The reference letters in support of candidates must be sealed and sent under separate cover and marked ‘Confidential Reference’. The application letters and other supporting documents of candidates should be sent in a sealed envelope marked ‘Application Documents’.
Both the application and the reference letters should be sent to:
The Executive Secretary
Avenue Cheikh Anta Diop X Canal IV
P.O. Box 3304 CP 18524
All applications must be received by 23 October 2016. Any application received after this date will not be considered.