Deadline: 30th March 2020Number of visits: 770
The Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA) invites applications from African scholars to fill a vacant position of Programme Officer (Research) in its pan-African Secretariat located in Dakar, Senegal. This position is categorized as belonging to the senior staff of the Council and as such is filled on the basis of an international announcement. The successful candidate will work as a member of the Secretariat under the overall supervision of the Executive Secretary of the Council but in the Research Programme.
Candidates wishing to apply for the position are requested to note that they will work under the supervision of the Senior Programme Officer and Head of Research Programme. The primary responsibility is to play a leading intellectual and managerial role in the running of CODESRIA’s main instrument for supporting research- the Meaning-Making Research Initiative (MRI). Because scholars supported under the MRI work in a broad range of fields in the Social Sciences and Humanities, the ability to engage scholarship across many disciplines is invaluable. The Programme Officer also plays a leading role in the organization of conferences and policy dialogues tied to the Council’s Programmes and strategy. In addition to his/her specific responsibilities, the successful candidate will be called upon to perform the following functions: initiate, develop and, where appropriate, manage new projects and Programmes; lend support for the realization of the other scientific activities of the Council; organize academic and policy meetings; promote contacts with researchers, professional associations and regional organizations; prepare research and funding proposals on themes connected to their areas of expertise as may be requested by the Executive Secretary; and where appropriate, liaise with funding organizations under the direction of the Executive Secretary.
More information on CODESRIA and its Programmes can be obtained from the Council’s website: www.codesria.org. It is CODESRIA policy to reflect the disciplinary, gender and linguistic diversity of the African social research community in its structures. In this connection, female candidates are especially encouraged to send in their applications for consideration for this position.
• Have a sound university education and post-doctoral working experience in a research and/or training environment;
• Have a distinguished record of scholarly publication;
• Have a demonstrable familiarity with debates in multiple disciplines across the social sciences and humanities;
• Have a good knowledge of CODESRIA and possess a demonstrable ability to mobilize and promote the work of African researchers;
• Know and be familiar with the African and international social science and humanities community;
• Have a proven experience of management in an academic environment;
• Be experienced in fund-raising, resource management and the preparation of reports for donors;
• Be fluent in French or English and have a good working knowledge of the other language.
The salary level that will be offered will depend on the successful applicants’ experience and qualifications and will be comparable to those of similar posts in other international organizations that apply the UN salary grill.
How to Apply
All applicants wishing to be considered for the position are required to supply the following documents:
1. A letter of application;
2. A detailed CV describing the candidate’s professional experience and scholarly publications;
3. Three reference letters, two of which must come from people living in countries other than the applicant’s country of residence;
4. Three of the candidate’s recent publications, two of which must be single-authored;
5. Copies of relevant academic certificates.
The application letters and other supporting documents should be uploaded via this link: https://codesria.org/submission/job/programme-officer-research/.
Only applications received via this link will be considered.
An automatic confirmation will be generated upon successful uploading of the application. Where the applicant has any additional questions, these should be sent to:
The Executive Secretary
Avenue Cheikh Anta Diop X Canal IV
P.O. Box 3304 CP 18524
All applications must be received by 30th March 2020. Any application received after this date will not be considered.