Re-Advertisement Vacancy Announcement for the Position of Managing Editor (English)
Application Deadline : 30th March 2020Nombre de visites : 887
The Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA) invites applications from suitably qualified nationals of African countries to fill the vacant position of MANAGING EDITOR (ENGLISH) in its pan-African Secretariat located in Dakar, Senegal. Recognised as the premier centre on the continent for the generation and dissemination of multidisciplinary social science and humanities knowledge, CODESRIA has, over the years, undergone an exponential growth in programmes, finances and membership.
Under the overall authority of the Executive Secretary, the Managing Editor will be expected to oversee CODESRIA’s daily publishing operations in English. S/he will be required to play a key role in enhancing the quality, timeliness, and reach of the different publications in the language. The managing editor will combine the innovativeness of a writer with the practical focus of an operations manager, and will incorporate the work of a commissioning editor. The ideal candidate should be able to conceptualise and develop innovative publication. We expect excellent organizational and leaderships skills as well as a unique problem-solving ability.
1. Key Tasks
As Managing Editor, you will join a small, dynamic team based in Dakar, Senegal that works with researchers, authors and partners worldwide. The work is varied and intensive, and will include the following elements :
- Supervising the publishing process from manuscript submission to final production ;
- Liaising with both in-house and external copyeditors, proofreaders, typesetters, translators, and designers ;
- Maintaining a database of various consultants and service providers used by the Publications and Dissemination Programme ;
- Liaising with authors, contributors and editors of publications under his/her portfolio and resolving editorial queries where necessary ;
- Ensuring adherence to strict guidelines and deadlines of the Publications and Dissemination Programme ;
- Copyediting / Proofreading manuscripts in English and crosschecking bibliographic entries according to the CODESRIA style guide ;
- Liaising with the staff of other CODESRIA programmes for the purpose of facilitating the publication process ;
- Preparing blurbs, abstracts and summary information for covers and dissemination activities ;
- Liaising with the CODESRIA Marketing and Distribution officer in the dissemination publications.
- Researching and reviewing source materials, and creating and updating content for the Publications and Dissemination’s Programme site.
- Managing and mentoring a dynamic team of editors, researchers and authors.
- Managing the publications and dissemination programme’s annual budget, including travel and freelance expenses
- Participate in promotional opportunities/activities for CODESRIA publications
- Mentoring/coaching staff on publications.
2. Qualifications :
- Minimum of a Masters degree in a Social Sciences or Humanities discipline from a recognized University (candidates with training in English, English Literature or Journalism will be an added advantage) ;
- Proven experience as Managing Editor or relevant role in a research and/or publishing environment ;
- Exceptional experience in copywriting and copyediting/proofreading in an academic/research environment ;
- Working knowledge of online platforms and current publishing and information technologies ;
- Be highly competent in spoken and written English, with a good working knowledge of either French, Portuguese or Arabic.
- Good knowledge of key debates in the social sciences and humanities in Africa.
3. Other Relevant Skills :
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills ;
- Be very respectful of rules of confidentiality ;
- Good knowledge of the workings of international organizations ;
- Excellent capacity to supervise general services staff ;
- Capacity to work under pressure and in a multicultural environment ;
- Excellent computer skills in using Microsoft office and other desktop publishing applications ;
- Good planning and organisational skills ;
Demonstrable ability to work within tight deadlines.
4. Conditions of Work
The work place is in Dakar, Senegal at the CODESRIA headquarters. We offer a Pan African and busy working environment ; a challenging job position with the opportunity to contribute to an important agenda and develop professionally ; an opportunity to shape knowledge production in Africa, including remuneration approximating in equivalent to those international organizations. Pay grading will be based on qualifications and level of experience. Start date : As soon as possible.
5. How to apply :
All applicants wishing to be considered for the position are required to supply the following documents :
- Letter of motivation that engages call and offer vision for position
- A detailed curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the qualifications obtained and describing the candidate’s professional experience ;
- Copies of certificates of all indicated qualifications,
- Three reference letters (two of such letters must come from people living in countries other than the applicant’s country of residence) ; and
- A writing sample (where applicable)
- Other supporting documents may be required prior to recruitment.
The application letters and other supporting documents should be uploaded via this link :
Only applications received via this link will be considered.
An automatic confirmation will be generated upon successful uploading of the application. Where the applicant has any additional questions, these should be sent to :
The Executive Secretary
Avenue Cheikh Anta Diop X Canal IV
P.O. Box 3304 CP 18524
Email : email@example.com
All applications must be received by 30th March 2020. Any application received after this date will not be considered.