JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT SENIOR PROGRAMME OFFICER (RESEARCH)
JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
SENIOR PROGRAMME OFFICER (RESEARCH)
Deadline: 31st August 2022
The Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA) invites applications from African scholars to fill the vacant position of Senior Programme Officer (Research) in its pan-African Secretariat located in Dakar, Senegal. This position falls within the senior staff of the Council and as such is filled on the basis of an international recruitment process. The successful candidate will work with a team of senior members of the Secretariat under the overall supervision of the Executive Secretary of the Council.
As a member of the senior staff of the Council, the senior programme officer (Research) is expected to provide intellectual and administrative leadership of programme activities and staff. Candidates wishing to apply for the position are requested to note that the Senior Programme Officer (Research) has as his/her primary responsibility providing intellectual leadership and management of the Council’s Research Programme. As the head of the Research Programme, he/she will be overseeing the Meaning-Making Research Initiatives (MRI) which is the primary vehicle through which the Council mobilises a substantial part of its research work. The SPO (Research) will also be tasked to initiate and oversee the management of thematic and issue-specific research programmes and projects of the Council. In this connection, the SPO will be responsible for managing all aspects of the portfolio of programmes entrusted to him/her, and overseeing the work of Programme Officers managing programme clusters within the Research Programme as well as the Programme Managers associated with each of the key cluster of programmes or projects domiciled within the Research Programme. While the thematic focus might change periodically depending on the priorities at the Council, all the programmes and projects will fall within a cluster of four thematic priorities outlined in the Council’s 2022-2026 strategic plan. The Research Programme also convenes major conferences and policy forums tied to the work of the research programmes and the Council’s strategy and the SPO will be the lead in organising these activities.
In addition to his/her specific responsibilities, the successful candidate will be called upon to perform the following functions: initiate, develop and, where appropriate, manage new projects and programmes; lend support for the realization of the other scientific activities of the Council; organize academic and policy meetings; promote contacts with researchers, professional associations and regional organizations; prepare research and funding proposals on themes connected to his/her areas of expertise as may be requested by the Executive Secretary; and where appropriate, liaise with funding organizations under the direction of the Executive Secretary.
More information on CODESRIA and its Research Programme can be obtained from the Council’s website: www.codesria.org. It is CODESRIA’s policy to reflect the disciplinary, gender and linguistic diversity of the African social science research community in its structures. In this connection, female candidates are especially encouraged to apply for this position.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Have a sound university education in the social sciences and/or humanities at the doctoral level from recognised universities;
- Have at least 6 years of post-doctoral working experience in related research and/or training environment at senior levels;
- Have a demonstratable track record in research and publications post-doctoral qualification as evidenced in accomplished research and published work in peer-reviewed journals;
- Experience in initiating and leading research groups within academic and research environments;
- Evidence of success in resource mobilisation, building partnerships with, and preparation of reports for, partners;
- Have a good knowledge of CODESRIA and possess a demonstrable ability to mobilize and promote the work of African researchers;
- Know and be familiar with the African and international scientific community;
- Have a proven experience in management in an academic environment;
- Be fluent in French or English and have a good working knowledge of the other language.
In addition to the above qualifications, evidence of leadership qualities, ability for teamwork, a sufficient level of communication and interpersonal skills, a strong work ethic as demonstrated by one’s level of dependability, responsibility, and consistency in work performance and a sufficient fit of the individuals to be considered to the overall intellectual and work culture of the Council will be desired attributes for those to be considered for the job.
The Job will be based at the Council’s secretariat in Dakar and will entail frequent work-related travel within the continent and outside. The salary level that will be offered will be competitive, pegged on the successful applicant’s experience and qualifications, and will be comparable to those of similar posts in other international organizations that apply the UN salary grill.
HOW TO APPLY
All applicants wishing to be considered for the position are required to supply the following documents:
- A written application;
- A detailed CV describing the candidate’s academic and professional experience;
- Three reference letters, two of which must come from people living in countries other than the applicant’s country of residence;
- Four of the candidate’s recent publications, three of which must be single-authored;
- Copies of relevant academic certificates
All application materials including the application letters and other supporting documents of candidates plus, where possible, the reference letters in support of candidates must be submitted via the submission portal on the CODESRIA website. The Council will however accept reference letters that are emailed directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org (emails with reference letters attached to them should have the words ‘CONFIDENTIAL REFERENCE’ written in the subject line).
An automatic confirmation will be generated upon successful uploading of the application. The Council will NOT accept nor consider any application materials sent to the Council by the regular post office.
All applications must be received by 31st August 2022. Any application received after this date will not be considered.