Teresa Cruz e Silva, Mozambican, holds a PhD in Social Sciences from the University of Bradford (United Kingdom). Currently an Associate Professor at the Centre for African Studies (CEA) and the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at the Eduardo Mondlane University, Maputo, Mozambique, she has in the past been Director of the CEA and Dean of the Faculty of Humanities. She is also a researcher at the Centre for Social Studies, Aquino de Bragança (CESAB) where she has also been a Director. Tereza Cruz e Silva is also active in the Women and Law in Southern Africa (WLSA), an NGO that conducts research on the legal situation of women in seven southern African countries (Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe). She was an Executive Committee member of CODESRIA between 2002 and 2008, and its President from 2005 to 2008.
Teresa Cruz e Silva is a member of various of research and scientific networks. She is also on the editorial board of several local and international journals. She is a visiting professor to various foreign institutions such as the Centre of African Studies (CEA) of the University of Porto (Portugal), the Centre for Social Studies at the University of Coimbra (Portugal), the Institute of Philosophy and Humanities at the University of Campinas (Brazil) and the Group on African Studies, Culture and Historiography (LABTEO-History) of the University of Sao Paulo (Brazil). In 2011, she was appointed, as a foreign member of the Humanities Department of the Academy of Sciences of Lisbon (Portugal).
Her main research interests include contemporary social history of Mozambique and Southern Africa, the African Liberation Movements and Nationalism, Social Networks, Religion and Society, Social Identities and Youth, Studies on Regional Security and Gender. Among the various articles, book chapters and books she has published are the following titles:
- Sousa Santos, Boaventura. & Cruz e Silva, Teresa. (2004) (orgs) Reinvenção EA da Moçambique Emancipação social. Maputo: Centro de Formação Jurídica e Judiciary;
- Cruz e Silva, Teresa Araújo, & Manuel Cardoso, Carlos (orgs) (2005) ’Em Lusofonia Africa: Historia, Democracia e Integração africana. “Dakar: CODESRIA;
- Cruz e Silva, Teresa (2006) “Solidarity Networks as entities to resolve conflicts.” In: Santos Trindade and Meneses, Law and Justice in a Multicultural Society: The Case of Mozambique. Dakar: CODESRIA;
- Cruz e Silva, Teresa, and food. (2007) Representações e Pratica sober Between Sexualidad Jovens Feminização EA does SIDA em Moçambique: Estudos de Caso e Centro Sul do not País. Maputo: WLSA Moçambique;
- Osorio, Conceição. & Cruz e Silva, Teresa. (2008) Buscando Sentidos: Género e Sexualidad Between estudante Jovens do ensino secundário, Moçambique. Maputo: WLSA Moçambique;
- Cruz e Silva, Teresa. (2008) “Evangelicals and Democracy in Mozambique”. In: Ranger, To Evangelical Christianity and Democracy in Africa. Oxford: Oxford University Press,
- Osorio, Conceição. & Cruz e Silva, Teresa. . (2009) Genero e Governação Local: Estudo of caso did Província Manica, distritos of Tmbara e Machaze. Maputo: WLSA Moçambique;
- Cruz e Silva, Teresa (2010). Public and Private and the Social Role of Universities in Africa. Dakar: CODESRIA