Date of announcement : 17 October 2016
Application Deadline : 9 January 2017
The Sam Moyo African Institute for Agrarian Studies(SMAIAS) invites applications to fill
the post of the Executive Director within its Secretariat.
Previously known as the African Institute for Agrarian Studies(AIAS), it was renamed to SMAIAS in 2016 by the Board of Trustees in honour of its late Founder and Executive Director, Professor Sam Moyo. Based in Harare, the SMAIAS has been in operation for over thirteen years, established and registered as an independent Trust in 2002. The SMAIAS aims to enhance Africa’s agrarian transformation by promoting informed participation towards effective land and agrarian policies and reform, by means of Pan- African and South-South partnerships, interdisciplinary research initiatives, policy dialogues, training, and information dissemination. SMAIAS interacts with various organizations and countries to assist them in developing capacity for policy formulation and research. It also facilitates policy dialogue among governments, academics, civil society and others on land and agrarian developments, especially on the land rights of marginalized social groups.
Responsibilities and expectations
Under the overall authority of the Board of Trustees and the direct supervision of the
Chairperson of the Board of Trustees, the Executive Director will be expected to provide intellectual, administrative and strategic leadership to the secretariat of the SMAIAS.
1) Core responsibilities :
• Provide overall leadership and management of the SMAIAS ;
• Conduct research and contribute to the development of the SMAIAS intellectual
• Prepare and implement long term strategies ;
• Liaise with donor agencies ;
• serve as Chief Operating Officer of SMAIAS responsible for overseeing the day-today operations of the Trust and implementation of such policies as may be adopted by the Board of Trustees ;
• Organize and prepare agenda for Board of Trustees Meetings and to serve on the
Board of Trustees ;
• Ensure that SMAIAS operates in compliance with Deed of Trust regulations and
law relating to governance of Trusts ;
• Represent SMAIAS in the initiatives of CODESRIA, the Agrarian South Network
(ASN), and such similar networks as will further the mission of the Institute ;
• Coordinate the preparation of Donor and Annual Budgets for approval by the
Board of Trustees and be responsible for proper and effective management of
the financial resources of SMAIAS ;
• Develop and implement fundraising plans and mobilize resources for SMAIAS
• Serve as official spokesperson for SMAIAS, write all press releases, Director’s
letters, brochures and related public materials ; grants print and broadcast media
interviews as required ; develop video and audio documentary material for media
distribution ; represents SMAIAS at all educational, scientific and public functions
and develop public relations policy for SMAIAS subject to approval of Board of
2) Academic/ Technical Competencies/Qualifications :
Applicants must :
• Possess a PhD from a recognised institution of higher learning inany field(s) of
the Social Sciences ;
• Have a long post-doctoral working experience (preferably 10 years but not less
than 5 years) at senior managerial level in a similar independent research
• Have good knowledge of, and affinity with, the intellectual tradition of SMAIAS,
CODESRIA, and the Agrarian South Network, and possess a demonstrable ability
to mobilise and promote Pan-African and South-South scholarship ;
• Be experienced in fund-raising, resource management and the preparation of
reports for donors ;
• Have a distinguished research and publication record on the Agrarian Question
in Africa ;
• Be conversant about the debates on the Agrarian Question in the Global South
• Be fluent in English ; a good working knowledge of French and Portuguese
would be an added advantage.
3) Other relevant skills :
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills ;
• Good knowledge of the workings of international independent research
• Capacity to work under pressure and in a multicultural environment ;
• Excellent computer experience in using Microsoft office applications ;
• Good planning and organisational skills ;
• Efficient and well organised personality, and ;
• Demonstrate ability to work to tight deadlines.
• A competitive remuneration package will be offered, in accordance with the
experience and qualifications of the candidate. This will be disclosed to
5) Location of post
• This post will be based at the SMAIAS secretariat office in Harare. Candidates
should be prepared to live in Harare.
6) Application procedure
The candidate should provide the following documents ;
i. A letter of application ;
ii. A detailed curriculum vitae ;
iii. Certified copies of certificates of all indicated qualifications, and
iv. Three reference letters ;
v. Three recent peer reviewed journal articles.
vi. Certified copy of passport.
Other supporting documents may also be required prior to recruitment.
The application should be submitted not later than 9 January 2017 via post to :
The Chairperson of the Board of Trustees
The Sam Moyo African Institute for Agrarian Studies
19 Bodle Avenue, Eastlea
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org under the subject header : Executive Director
All applications will be treated in utmost confidence. However, only shortlisted
candidates shall be contacted.
The SMAIAS Trust reserves the right not to appoint any of the applicants for the post.
Only African citizens will be considered for this post.