Application Deadline: 30th March 2020Number of visits: 7023
The Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA) invites applications from African scholars to fill a vacant position of Program Officer in the CODESRIA Documentation and Information Center (CODICE) in its pan-African Secretariat located in Dakar, Senegal. This position is categorized as belonging to the senior staff of the Council and as such is filled on the basis of an international announcement. The successful candidate will work as a member of the Secretariat under the overall supervision of the Executive Secretary of CODESRIA.
Candidates wishing to apply for the position should note that CODICE has been elevated to the status of an autonomous unit in the CODESRIA Secretariat to be managed under the responsibility of a Program Officer. CODICE has as its primary mandate the provision of documentary support and information to CODESRIA research programmes, African researchers, African universities, research and training institutes, African governments and their agencies, and civil society. The Center manages a rich documentary collection of humanities and social science information and research findings, as well as databases (a bibliographic data, a database of CODESRIA publications, a database of African social science researchers, etc). It oversees various initiatives that include an Oral Documentation Project that produces portraits of great African knowledge producers partly through conversations leading to the publication of books and the production of documentaries; and an archival project that, in collaboration with university libraries, is aimed at preserving the personal collections of retiring African professors. CODICE also supports CODESRIA research programmes and networks including laureates of the various CODESRIA Institutes including those on Democratic Governance, Gender and Humanities. CODICE is also at the service of CODESRIA personnel, students and lecturers of African universities, training and research institutes, and visiting researchers from institutions within or outside Africa.
In addition to his/her specific responsibilities, the successful candidate will be called upon to perform the following functions: initiate, develop and, where appropriate, manage new projects and programs; lend support for the realization of the other scientific activities of the CODESRIA; organize academic and policy meetings, including online conferences; oversee the development of a virtual campus; promote contacts with researchers and other documentation centres, particularly university libraries; manage contacts with professional associations and regional organizations; prepare research and funding proposals on themes connected to his/her areas of expertise as may be requested by the Executive Secretary.
More information on CODESRIA and CODICE can be obtained from the Council’s website: www.codesria.org. It is CODESRIA policy to reflect the disciplinary, gender and linguistic diversity of the African social research community in its structures. In this connection, female candidates are especially encouraged to send in their applications for consideration for this position.
• Have a sound university education and post-doctoral working experience in a research and/or training environment;
• Have a good knowledge of scientific publications, documentation and databases;
• Have a sound knowledge of trends and new developments in the field of ICT, particularly those that can prove important to research, documentation, teaching, publication and dissemination of information and scientific knowledge in a digital form;
• Have a good knowledge of CODESRIA and possess a demonstrable ability to mobilize and promote the work of African researchers;
• Know and be familiar with the African and international scientific community;
• Have a proven experience of management in an academic environment;
• Be experienced in fund-raising, resource management and the preparation of reports for donors;
• Have a distinguished record of publication in peer-reviewed journals;
• Be fluent in French or English and have a good working knowledge of the other language.
The salary level that will be offered will depend on the successful applicant’s experience and qualifications, and will be comparable to those of similar posts in other international organizations that apply the UN salary grill.
How to Apply
All applicants wishing to be considered for the position are required to supply the following documents:
1. A letter of application;
2. A detailed CV describing the candidate’s professional experience and scholarly publications;
3. Three reference letters, two of which must come from people living in countries other than the applicant’s country of residence;
4. Three of the candidate’s recent publications, two of which must be single-authored;
5. Copies of relevant academic certificates.
The application letters and other supporting documents should be uploaded via this link: https://codesria.org/submission/job/vacancy-announcement-program-officer-codesria-documentation-and-information-center/.
Only applications received via this link will be considered.
An automatic confirmation will be generated upon successful uploading of the application. Where the applicant has any additional questions, these should be sent to:
The Executive Secretary
Avenue Cheikh Anta Diop X Canal IV
P.O. Box 3304 CP 18524
All applications must be received by 30th March 2020. Any application received after this date will not be considered.