26-27 fFebruary 2007, Khartoum, SudanNumber of visits: 2021
We the participants in the Conference, which was facilitated and
funded by the University of Juba in collaboration with the Council for the
Development of Social Science Research (CODESRIA) under the theme:
" Academic Freedom and University Autonomy in Post-Conflict Sudan",
on February 26-27 at the Sudanese Women’s Union Conference Centre,
Khartoum- Sudan, hereby declare our commitment to the full
implementation of the instruments and the principles enunciated below:
1) All academicians have the right to fulfill their teaching, research,
and dissemination of information without fear, interference or
repression from government or any other public authority.
2) Government should respect the rights of the academic community,
particularly the freedom of thought, conscience, religion,
expression, assembly and association.
3) Freedom of movement should be guaranteed to the academic
community whether within or outside the country.
4) Members of academia should have the right of publication in
journals or any other forms of media.
5) Government should not interfere with the autonomy of Higher
6) Institutions of Higher learning should exercise autonomy by
democratic means whereby all members of academic community
7) Academic members should have the right and opportunity to take
part in the conduct of academic and administrative affairs of their
institutions without discrimination or restrictions.
8) Members of security organs should not be allowed to enter
University campuses without permission from Authorities of the
9) Institutions of Higher Learning should participate in addressing
current issues facing the local environment in particular and the
country at large.
10) Members of the Academic community should perform their
functions with competence, integrity and to the best of their ability
in accordance with the highest scientific standards and ethics.
11) Members of Academic community should inculcate the
spirit of tolerance and enhancement of democratic debate and
12) University should be community oriented and responsive to
the problems facing the community.