Call for applications
Application Deadline: 13th July 2018
This announcement replace the previous one which has been withdraw.
The Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA) invites applications from suitably qualified nationals of African countries to fill two (2) vacant position of ACCOUNTANT- THIRD PARTY SUPPLIES and ACCOUNTANT – TREASURY SERVICES in its pan-African Secretariat located in Dakar, Senegal. Recognised as the premier centre on the continent for the generation and dissemination of multidisciplinary social science and humanities knowledge, CODESRIA has, over the years, undergone an exponential growth in programmes, finances and membership. Under the overall supervision of the Executive Secretary, the successful candidates will serve as accountants, providing office administrative accountancy /management duties for CODESRIA.
CODESRIA seeks applications from interested candidates for the position of Accountant – Treasury Services in the Administration and Finance Department.
- Manage the payment cycle;
- Initiate all cheque payments and bank transfers;
- Perform the daily banking;
- Be responsible for the verification of contracts and invoices input;
- Check and certify purchase orders and invoices;
- Record funds and payments received;
- Pay per diems, various refunds and expenses to researchers for meetings organized by the Council;
- Perform daily bank reconciliations;
- Input other accounting information as delegated by the Chief Accountant;
- Reconcile membership fees with the Membership Services Officer;
- Prepare regular donor financial reports for submission to the Chief Accountant;
- Together with other colleagues in the Accounts Unit, prepare the monthly and annual financial statements;
- Liaise with other Programmes on a range of issues;
- File all necessary documents related to the various tasks;
- Perform any other duties as delegated by superiors and by the Executive Secretary ;
Qualifications and Competencies: The successful candidates should fulfill the following criteria:
- Academic Qualifications: Masters in accountancy, audit or Equivalent + 5 years work experience in an accounting environment from any recognized higher education institution;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles;
- In-depth knowledge of banking systems ;
- Mastery of software for account registration ;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Excellent bookkeeping skills;
- Competency in relevant information technology systems;
- Demonstrable experience and in-depth knowledge of book keeping process ;
- Demonstrable knowledge of standard accounting software;
- Strong interpersonal skills ;
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Outlook ;
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word ;
- Fluency either in English, French or Portuguese and a working knowledge of one of the others;
- Candidates with a keen interest in the social sciences and humanities hold an added advantage.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send their application letters and comprehensive resume and copies of their university certificates No later than Friday 13th July 2018 to:
For more information contact the Office of the Executive Secretary.