UCT Libraries: Executive Director
The University of Cape Town invites applications for the position of Executive Director: University Libraries. UCT University Libraries is at the forefront of librarianship in the African Continent and a recognized international player among research libraries. The University seeks an innovative and dynamic leader, with a proven record as an effective manager, who is able to articulate and implement a clear vision for a major African and global, next-generation research library that supports both the teaching and learning and research functions of the university.
The successful candidate will be responsible for strategic planning, development of collections and services, donor cultivation and stewardship, information technology and digital resources, budgeting and financial management, and human resources. The University of Cape Town has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of diversity among its staff and students and seeks an individual who shares that commitment.
As part of the senior management team of the University, s/he will contribute to strategic and operational leadership.
We seek an outstanding candidate who has:
• a deep understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing research universities and their libraries;
• an awareness of current trends in scholarly communication and the capacity to understand and support scholarly research;
• the ability to manage a complex physical and virtual environment to deliver information services and preserve information in all formats;
• a history of decisive and innovative leadership, including successful management of human, financial, and physical resources;
• a deep understanding of information technology and the ability to translate that knowledge into creative and innovative services to support teaching and research;
• a successful track record of experience at senior management level in a university/research library;
• excellent organizational and communication skills and proven ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies;
• a record of academic achievement;
• a record of success in obtaining external funding;
• the ability to be an effective spokesperson for the Libraries and a fully contributing member of the UCT senior leadership group.
The minimum educational qualification for the post is either a Master’s degree in Library Science and a university degree in a subject discipline, OR a university degree/postgraduate diploma in Library Science and a Master’s degree in a subject discipline.
The 2018 annual cost of employment, including benefits, is appropriate to the Senior Management level, and is dependent on qualifications and experience.
To apply, please e-mail the following documents in a single pdf file to Ms Natasha Khan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Signed UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr204.doc)
Letter of Motivation
Full curriculum vitae (no certificates)
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line. An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Shortlisted candidates may be requested to provide further documentation on their candidacy. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and may be required to undergo a competency assessment.
Appointment procedures for Executive Directors are available at http://www.hr.uct.ac.za/hr/recruitment/exec_appointments/exec_directors
Nominations with a brief motivation may also be sent to Ms Natasha Khan at www.lib.uct.ac.zawww.lib.uct.ac.za
Telephone: +27 21 650 5429
Website : www.lib.uct.ac.za
Reference number: E18220
Closing date for receipt of applications: 30 June 2018
The University reserves the right to extend the closing date if deemed necessary or to make no appointment.
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf